The Monmouth County Stigma-Free Initiative is a countywide program that aims to reduce the stigmas associated with mental illness and substance use disorder by raising awareness of the diseases and creating a culture where residents feel supported by their community and neighbors and feel free to seek treatment without fear of stigma.
In 2023, the City of Asbury Park, through the Mayor’s Wellness Committee, is partnering with local non-profit organizations to support the initiative and take on stigma in our community. Each month, the program will focus on at least one activity, live or virtual, to help raise awareness and create a discussion on how stigma affects our community.
Join us to help fight stigma and make the Asbury Park community feel supported. For questions or to volunteer, call 732-502-4528 or email Lilibeth.Corrales@cityofasburypark.com.
- January - Homelessness - City of Asbury Park
- February - Disabilities - Jar of Hope
- March - Women - Central Jersey Club of the National Association of Negro Business and Professional Women's Club
- April – Sexual Violence – Mercy Center
- May – Children & Adult Mental Health – Interfaith Neighbors & Boys & Girls Club of Monmouth County
- June – LGTBQIA+ - Garden State Equality & Oceans Family Success Center
- July – Black Mental Health – Westside Citizens United
- August – Substance Use– VNA & Prevention First
- September – Elderly – Westside Citizens United
- October – Hispanic – Community Affairs and Resource Center
- November – Indigenous Peoples – Asbury Park Public Schools
- December – Depression – Hackensack Meriden
For questions or to volunteer, call 732-502-4582 or email Lilibeth.Corrales@cityofasburypark.com.