The Tax Assessor is responsible for establishing real property valuation for the purpose of maintaining a municipal property tax base. New Jersey is an “ad valorem” state, therefore taxes are to be apportioned based off market value.
The assessment function serves as the distribution mechanism of the City’s tax levy. Annually, reassessments are conducted to be sure that taxes are distributed accurately and uniformly across all ratable properties in the municipality.
Tax Assessment Department Duties
As per State law, the primary duties of the Tax Assessment Department include, but are not limited to:
- List and assign value of all real property in the City of Asbury Park
- Maintain current ownership and mailing address
- Review new construction and improvements for added assessment tax revenue
- Review new subdivisions and consolidations for taxation purposes
- Assignment of Block, Lot, and address numbers
- Defense of state, county and added assessment tax appeals
- Review and process veteran/senior citizen/disabled person and tax exemption applications
- Review and process 5-years property tax exemption and abatement applications
- Oversight of municipal-wide revaluations
- Supervise the maintenance of the City tax map
In addition to the above Statutory Duties of the Tax Assessor, other duties include, but are not limited to:
- Preparation of 200 foot certified lists (for applicants that bring applications before the Planning and Zoning Boards who must notify all owners within 200 feet of their subject property)
- Management of online tax appeal system for Asbury Park
- Supervision of the Monmouth County Assessment Demonstration Program (ADP) for Asbury Park
Tax Rate Certifications
Property Inspection Cycle 2022-2023
The City of Asbury Park is under contract with Realty Data Systems (RDS) to inspect a
designated portion of all properties located in the City each year.
Tax AssessorPhysical Address
1 Municipal Plaza
Asbury Park, NJ 07712
Phone: 732-502-5750Fax: 732-502-0566
Assistant: 732-502-5751HoursMonday8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.Tuesday to Friday8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.Weekend appointments may be available.Please note: The Tax Assessor's office is generally closed for lunch from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.
Michael DelreTax Assessor