Emergencies can happen anywhere at any time and it’s crucial to be prepared before disaster strikes.
For tips on how to prepare and keep your family, business and home safe:
For important emergency information from the City of Asbury Park:
- Sign up at Nixle to automatically receive critical community information and local emergency notices.
In case of high winds:
- Secure your property. Put away outdoor decorations and other items that could be affected by high winds and heavy precipitation. Clear any debris away from storm drains, allowing water to flow properly.
Clearing Snow & Ice
- Snow and ice should be removed from all exit ways, doors and fire escapes. All Fire Department connections must be cleared of snow and ice. If a fire hydrant is on your property, help out the Fire Department by clearing snow from the immediate area around it.
- Sidewalks must be cleared by 12 hours after the end of snowfall. Take your time shoveling, and stay wrapped up in layers when outside. Do not shovel snow or aim snowblowers on to the street. Place snow up on the curb out of street lines to prevent it from being plowed back into your driveway.
Emergency Communication an Kits
After the storm has passed, check in on elderly or disabled neighbors.
Keep your cell phone fully charged and plugged in. Assemble an emergency kit including the following: Batteries,
Can opener, Cooking tools, First-aid medications, Flashlight, Food and water to last three or more days, Hand sanitizers, Radio,Toiletries
Know your emergency plan in case of evacuation.
In case of an emergency, updates will be posted on:
For More Information
Emergency Numbers - Report All Emergencies to 911
- Emergency: 911
- City Hall: 732-775-2100
- Department of Public Works: 732-775-0900
- Fire Department (non-emergency): 732-775-6300
- Jersey Central Power & Light (to report power outages): 800-544-4877
- Monmouth County Health Department: 732-431-7456
- Monmouth County SPCA (to report injured or stranded animals that needs help): 732-542-0040
- NJ Natural Gas (to report gas leaks): 800-427-5325
- Police Department (non-emergency): 732-774-1300
Customers should immediately report any downed wires to Jersey Central Power and Light or their local police or fire department.
Learn about identifying and responding to a gas leak.
Protect pets and stray animals during emergencies such as winter storms.
Safety guidelines depend on the emergency. Learn how to stay safe during power outages and bad weather.
Parking cars safely during storms allows for snow plows to navigate the streets easier.
Trash and recycling pick-up can be affected by weather events.