Eileen Chapman, Councilperson
Eileen Chapman, Council Member
Email Eileen Chapman (preferred method of contact)
Primary Department: Mayor and Council
First Elected: May 2016
I am honored to be a council member at a time when there is so much positive momentum on so many fronts. As a resident of Asbury Park since 1974, I have seen our city both thrive and struggle.
I am committed to ensuring this city is consistently a great place to live, to work, to create, and to play.
My major concerns are:
- Helping the city to balance the equation between development and preservation. As development proceeds, I will work to maintain the character of Asbury Park by mediating the diverse needs of businesses and of all residents
- I am on the sustainability committee and am dedicated to renewing a city-wide effort to include the schools, the residents, and the businesses of Asbury Park in being active partners with the government in improving our environment - politically, culturally, and economically.
- Improving the water quality of our lakes and preserving Bradley Cove are priorities. With land preservation and improved water quality comes improved recreational spaces for our residents and for our visitors.
Community Organizations / Boards Served
- Asbury Angels Board member
- Asbury Park Historical Foundation Board member
- Asbury Park Music Foundation Board member
- Budget Committee
- Quality of Life Committee
- Recreation Committee
- Sunset Lake Commission
- Wesley Lake Commission
I raised my family in Asbury Park and I believe in the strength and the character of our city. Currently, a lot of hopes and a lot of dreams are being made real through the dedication and the collaborative hard work of our city businesses and residents. My hope for our City is that tomorrow's Asbury Park will be like nothing we have ever seen before.
I have a deep work history in business management and in performing arts management. Among other things, I was:
- An Entertainment Director of the Clearwater Festival
- A founding Member and Coordinator of Riverfest Jazz and Blues Festival
- A founding member of the Jersey Shore Jazz and Blues Foundation
I am the former general manager of several entertainment venues including the Stone Pony and the Fast Lane.
I serve on the Boards of the Asbury Park Historical Society and Asbury Angels and am a member of MOCO arts marking, Mid-Atlantic Region Archives, and the Music Library Association.